Saturday 11 August 2018

Google Nexus 6p: Do I really deserve this gift I got from Akka?

So it goes like this.....whenever my close friends see a new gadget with me, the first thing they say is, "Didi ne gift kiya hain na?"

Hope you got it ;) And I am not telling you what all akka gifted me...I have enough friends who pull my leg like above...I do not think I need more of them...;)

Coming back to my gift Google Nexus 6p, the flagship phone of 2015, Akka gifted this amazing and smooth (outside and inside) smartphone after I completed my M.B.A. I initially wondered why did she buy such a costly phone and that too for me :P Even she never used such a phone before. Sister's love you know ;)

It was April, 2016 and  I had my M.B.A convocation to attend along with the family. Though the major excitement was receiving the degree in-front of family, teachers and friends, there was a rather smaller happiness in carrying my new Google Nexus in my hand. Many of friends were checking out its features and and yes my close one's were praising my sister. While few felt dramatically sad of being the only child to their parents, few felt sad of not being the younger one in the family :P

I quickly started getting used to the mobile's User Interface (UI) and liked the speed at which it process the applications, tasks etc.

That very first seat in SRS travel bus:
Now comes the first day at Wipro Limited and the corporate induction was in Bengaluru's Sarjapur campus. Had a hectic day at office and was coming back to the hotel in the office bus (managed by SRS travels). I got down the bus at the hotel and checked for my nexus as I was almost there at the reception. First shock of the day, the very first day of my corporate life post MBA, and I was not able to figure out where the mobile lost. I rushed back to the bus to check and the bus already left. That is the only mobile I had carried to Bengaluru and was successful in losing it the very first day. First thing I did was to call the HR and ask for the driver's number. I got the transport manager's number and could trace the driver's mobile number too later. While I was busy doing all this, there one voice running in the background and it says 'Vamsi, be careful and do not lose the mobile'. You might have guessed it right and yes it was my akka's voice.

I called the driver to find out his mobile not reachable. And my mobile was ringing initially and then was switched off. All the negative thoughts started coming into my mind and they all say me, 'Vamsi, you have lost you mobile and it is gone now.' I started to believe the voice and it further went more loud and clear as a ring to transport manager's phone started telling switched off. As I slowly lost my hopes on finding the nexus back, I quickly walked towards the near-by Airtel store to get my SIM blocked. It was already 8:30pm and the store was about to get closed and I was asked to come back the next day.

A couple of hours later I get a call from my dad and he says that SRS travel manager has called and asked to collect the phone. That was the most sweetest thing I would want to hear that moment. I was super excited and took the number of the travel manager to check on more.

I called the travel manger and understood that getting the phone back to the office security gate would a good option and infact it started raining that night.

I got my nexus back the next morning at Wipro and this incident increased my trust and respect for SRS travels. Thank you so much SRS travels.

I then told to myself that this should be the first and last time I would lose my Nexus again. But history repeats :P Not just once, but multiple times.

There were several other times for the next 2 years, I used forget my Nexus at various places like roadside restaurants, office desks, canteen table etc., and somehow I got it back. Every time this happened, I used to warn myself of being careless but that hardly helped :P

Before I tell you what finally happened to my Nexus this today afternoon :( I should tell you one such incident when I thought, "I lost my Nexus for sure and god has given enough chances to me"

One weekday morning and I was in an rick on my way to office. I have a habit of placing the mobile on the seat while in the auto and this time I forgot to take it while getting off the rick. I got into the office and checked for my Nexus before I quickly ran back to the gate to find the auto no where around. I kept calling the Nexus with my spare mobile (not a smart one :p) and on the 3rd or 4th call, the driver picked it up and said he is far from my office but can handover the mobile in next 10 mins. I said I will wait at the gate. I got my mobile and I was very thankful to him. In fact the next passenger who got into the auto after I got down gave the mobile to the driver :)

Now just look at the fate. The same thing happened few weeks later and this time I forgot my spare mobile in the rick. I am yet to get it back :/

Let us now come back to what happened to my Nexus today. I was on my way to office to get my keys from the desk. As I entered the campus, I was passing my Nexus from the left hand to the right and it slipped. The screen got broke and is completely blacked out. I can sense the WhatsApp messages with the vibrations but can't see what's there on the screen. As I called the Huawei customer care center, they said that the support for Nexus 6p is no longer available.

That leaves me with an amazing gift which I may not be able to use the way I was few hours back. As I now recall the number of times I almost lost it and the amazing memories it captured, I am going to miss it. But it is my Nexus and by the way...

this question comes back to me again, "Do I really deserve such a gift?"

And then the answer comes up..."Does not matter...It is akka's love ;)"

No comments:

Post a Comment